Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Speaking of Etiquette...

..I know, it was a few weeks ago, but hey - Anyway, one of the other little things that people do these days tends to point directly to this growing epidemic of selfishness that is covering the culture these days. And one of the things that really bothers me about this cultural change is that I'm not immune to it either; I am becoming just as guilty as the people about whom I lament. The thing that I find irksome also ties into a post that my partner put in here about the way that people say things without thinking about them. Have you noticed lately that when someone is putting you off for some reason, they tend to say something like, "can't do it right now, but I'll get back to you at my earliest convenience." Huh?! Your earliest convenience? If I'm asking you to do something, then something tells me that this may never become convenient to you! I really think that this is more of a case of ignorance than bad manners, but still, people need to think about what they say. If I was trying to be polite, then I think that I would be the one to ask someone else to do something when it is convenient for them, ya know? I just strikes me as impolite when someone tells me that they will do something as part of a business dialogue or just plain polite discussion, only when it becomes convenient for them to get around to it.

Okay, now that I've vented, it does seem like a small complaint, but it still adds to that epidemic of the deterioration our cultural behaviors along with everything thing else. And it does seem like this epidemic is snowballing beyond repair at this point, unfortunately.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a clever response, and will post it at my earliest convenience. We thank you for your patience.

gbs said...

Thank you for your attention, or rather, your parade rest, and be careful. Don't LET the bedbugs bite.